Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Wordy Wednesday: The Extraordinary Robyn Bachar

A Personal Note:
This Blog is very well timed Especially since NaNoWriMo kicks off November 1st, but Robyn is going to talk more about that in her post and I will post more about it in a couple weeks! :)

Now, on to the blog!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thanks for having me here today!


As an author I’ve been fortunate to have the encouragement of my family, my BFF Diana, and my local RWA chapter. I’m extremely grateful for their support, and the support of my readers. I have many stories of how they’ve all influenced my writing, but because November is approaching, today I’d like to talk about how I’ve been inspired by National Novel Writing Month.



I discovered NaNoWriMo in 2006, and that NaNo novel evolved into my first Bad Witch book, Blood, Smoke and Mirrors. Since then I’ve published two more NaNos, Bewitched, Blooded and Bewildered and Poison in the Blood. I’m hoping that this year’s project will become my fourth published NaNo. Fingers crossed! ;)



The rules of NaNoWriMo are simple: you have 30 days to write 50,000 words. NaNoWriMo trained me to write every day in search of hitting a daily word count, and how to suppress my inner editor until the first draft is complete. It’s very easy to give into the demands of my inner editor—she can spend hours obsessing over commas, or despairing over choosing just the right verb to express the action. But if I give her those hours, I’ll never finish the book, and I certainly won’t earn myself an awesome NaNoWriMo “winner!” T-shirt.



There’s something inspiring about going to a write-in and meeting other NaNoers feverishly chasing that 50k word goal. Writing is usually a solitary thing—just you and your keyboard (and possibly a cat or two who wants to sit on your keyboard). During NaNoWriMo, you’re not alone, because there are thousands of other writers struggling to get their words on the page.



So if you’ve got a story you’ve been wanting to write, you’re welcome to join us this November. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment